Sunday, August 9, 2009

Take me out to the ballgame...


On Thursday, I threw out the first pitch at the San Antonio Missions game for Lutheran Night at the Ballpark. I saw it as an opportunity for a "ministry of presence." It was a pastoral act that isn't in my little green prayer book. It was pastoral in that I was making Amazing Grace's presence known in the community. It was also a lot of fun.


I found it ironic when I got invited to throw the pitch because I'm not very sporty. I was worried that I wouldn't get the ball the catcher, and that it would just stop in the dirt. I was afraid that people would think I am the wimpy pastor who can't even throw a baseball. The mighty spheroid did, however, get to the catcher. It was high and outside--very high and very outside, but it got there.


The night at the game was also a great fellowship opportunity. It was fun to sit in the stands with fellow church folk and enjoy a beautiful night together.


Here's a picture of me out on the pitcher's mound. Does that mean I'm out standing in my field? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment