Thursday, February 25, 2010

I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes…

I remember that song, “The Sign” by the Swedish band Ace of Base. It got almost incessant radio play when I was in seventh grade. I remember annoying my friends and family by singing it whenever I saw any type of sign—billboard, traffic, you name it. “I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes. I saw the sign!”

At church, we recently put up a sign. It had been a few years in the making, but now it help clarify where to go on our church property. It’s another step in being more intentionally welcoming. Our congregation is blessed with wonderful property, but the buildings are set back a bit from the road. I’ve heard of people wondering if the church were a convent or some sort of David Koresh-like compound. Also, with multiple buildings, it’s sometimes unclear as to which building to go to. We’ve had deliveries come to the worship space, and worship visitors become confused on Sunday mornings.

We can now follow the arrows and know where to go. “I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes. I saw the sign!”

No comments:

Post a Comment